Re: [LAU] best mic(s) for environmenal recording?

On 4/10/07, Brad Fuller <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mike Taht wrote:

> But I'm WAAAY out of my depth here as to how to get the best recording
> of the outdoors.

hello neighbor,

Did you try PZMs? Could be great for your particular situation.

Never crossed my mind. Interesting. I can certainly see the wind noise dropping out, and perhaps I'd capture the scrabbling of a squirrel on a tree that way....

I've mostly been thinking a pair of fairly small diaphram mics like gefell M930 would do well, or something similar, and even smaller, like the M200 or M300 series. I'm still researching for mics with the lowest self noise possible - at these low volumes that strikes me as critical. Also, resistance to temp changes....

Yesterday I picked up a presonus digimax FS 8 mic preamp. As I have a rme-multiface which can do 96k the ADAT lightpipe support sold me, and long term the ability to put in sends struck me as useful. The reviews seemed good.

I think what I'm going to do is put *all* my mics out there, record ~8 tracks with the above unit and my other pres, then listen to what works... fill up a few hard disks....

Last night we had a very light drizzle and recording this morning would have been PERFECT - no wind, that sort of dampened feeling you get from fog, yet not too damp, and birds, birds, everywhere, in 3 dimensions.....

Maybe just my cheaper mics... I hate the idea of the damp killing 'em.

I am grateful for the ton of mail from everyone on this topic, but I have to run out today before I can absorb it all, I'll comment more this evening.

(nice blog, brad - http://bradfuller.com/blog/2007/02/08/the-ultimate-multimedia-environment-part-1-back-to-the-past/ I'd be loading up my player right now with the podcasts from GDC 2007 but can't find them so far)

--
brad fuller
http://www.Sonaural.com/

Mike Taht