Re: [LAU] best mic(s) for environmenal recording?

Arnold Krille wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2007 schrieb Dragan Noveski:
Mike Taht wrote:
I am selling my house deep in the santa cruz mountains, and I think
the things I'm going to miss most is the birdsong and other sounds of
the wilderness around me. So, I keep thinking, I should pick up a good
mic soon (stereo mic, or matched pair) - either buy, borrow, or rent
for a few days - and record it all, so I can recreate the ambiance and
memories of this place one day in the future.
i am sorry for not knowing the word now in english (robin will help out).
for outside recording watch out at the mic-cheracteristica!
what you need is a 'kugel' (in german), in english it should be called
'ball, or sphere'.
those are the only mics which will record linear, beginning at 0Hz.
off course it should be a condenser and you need a propper preamp!

As you need to EQ/Master afterwards, this shouldn't be the big problem. But you should select the characteristics of the mic with respect to what you want to record: Doing a live-recording of a concert you don't want to use omni-directional mics as you want the sound coming from stage in front of the mic, not the foh-man talking to the light-crew behind the mic. For environmental recordings where you are in the middle of the happening you could use omnis.

but arnold, the original question was "which mic for outside recording of singng birds".
And wether a mic records linear from 0Hz is dependent on the price and not so much on the characteristics. In fact I strongly doubt that any mic will be linear (which is defined to be less than 3dB around the average) below 20Hz!

Arnold

you are partly right here, a 3€ omni-mic will not do a job - it is always a price question, but from the wikipedia link, robin searched for us:

"Omnidirectional microphones, unlike cardioids, do not employ resonant cavities as delays, and so can be considered the "purest" mikes in terms of low coloration; they add very little to the original sound. Being pressure-sensitive they can also have a very flat low-frequency response down to 20 Hz or below."

of course, 0Hz i mentioned is strongly theoretically, but a good omni-mic will do better here as a good cardioid.

cheers,
doc