Re: [LAU] Thinkpad R60 for Audio Update - Firewire Conflicts with Audio

On 4/10/07, Pieter Palmers <pieterp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Spencer Russell wrote:

> Is anybody using a firewire card through a PCMCIA adpter? I hesitate
> to use a firewire card because I want something that's bus-powered,
> but this laptop only has a 4-pin firewire. I'm leaning perhaps to the...

Note that there might be exceptions, but:
PCMCIA or Cardbus adapters are also unable to provide bus power,
notwithstanding the fact that they do have 6-pin adapters. The
PCMCIA/cardbus bus doesn't provide the power needed for the FireWire
bus, so these adapters can't provide it.

Hrm, this is problematic. I'd just about settled down to the idea of
either the Presonus Firepod of the Edirol FA-66, but if there's no way
to get them portable power, I guess I'll have to stick with something
USB. I had a lot of trouble with a tascam US428 a couple years back,
so I'd like to stick with something that doesn't require so much
tweaking and a custom module (unless that's changed recently), so I
guess it's back to the search. I guess the Edirol UA-25 is still high
in the running.

spencer