Re: [LAU] Thinkpad R60 for Audio Update - Firewire Conflicts with Audio

Arnold Krille wrote:
Am Dienstag, 10. April 2007 schrieb Robin Gareus:
Dmitry Baikov wrote:
On 4/10/07, Robin Gareus <robin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
PCMCIA is ok, but not great for low latency. (adds one extra interface
between PCI bus & sound-card). - the cheap solution is to get a PCMCIA
card for your hard-disk - instead of using the built-in firewire for the
disk. - maybe you want to do that anyway. use the built-in firewire to
an external audio-device and the PCMCIA for storage.
Quite the opposite.
PCMCIA is great for latency. That "extra" PCI bridge does NOT affect
audio latency.
Firewire latencies are bigger than PCI/PCMCIA and will always be. Ask
Pieter Palmers for details.
good point. now I start to remember the protocol mess and overhead of
1394 audio. - and hope I'll forget about it again soon.. ;)

No, you remember the mess from 1394-detection. Protocol-overhead allows 2x64 here with my presonus firepod...
The streaming protocol doesn't introduce problems with respect to latency. The mess is indeed the detection procedure.

And ppalmers stated that firewire will be much better than netjack because of fixed latency and guaranteed bandwidth and reaction time.
Compared to netjack we will totally rule :). But that's not for the next release.

Pieter