Re: [LAU] Re: Re: Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty?--musicisjustone path

On 4/6/07, Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Chuckk Hubbard escribe:
> Schoenberg used lots of harmony.  He wrote a textbook on harmony.  His
> atonal systems even had some highly-developed ways of using harmony.

Not exactly. According to one colleague in other mailing list, he
wrote the most advanced textbook on harmony ever written.

Obviously if you use the twelve notes, some of them will sound
harmonically in any moment.

We looked at a Schoenberg piece in freshman theory where he used a
three-note tone row over and over again in both melodic and harmonic
forms.  None of the harmonies violated it.  I believe it was 0, 1, 4.
I don't recall the piece, but it was pretty strict.  The tone row was
not merely a melodic rule.  The harmonic rules of his system may not
have been tonal, but they existed.

-Chuckk

--
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com