Re: [LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty--musicisjustone path

On 4/6/07, Chuck Martin <dsdhpnw02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 12:37:28AM -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 4/6/07, Chuck Martin <dsdhpnw02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >No equal tempered scale will have any of those ratios, exactly, except
> >for the octave.  Just tunings will have some of those ratios, exactly,
> >buy only in certain keys, because it's impossible to have all fifths or
> >all thirds perfect, for example.
>
> Well, it is impossible if you are using a fixed-pitch instrument.
> With talented singers, it's almost impossible to have any fifth or
> third not perfect.

That's true, but they adjust their pitch subconciously to harmonize with
the other singers.

Absolutely.  And so they can have all thirds and fifths perfect in all
keys, by using more than 12 pitches when necessary.

That brings to mind an interesting thought.  With most electronic
keyboards being software-based, it seems it would be a simple matter for
the software to analyze what notes are being played, and adjust the notes
for perfect harmony in the same way those singers do.  I wonder if that's
ever been done.  Does anyone know?

I don't know about that one.  Wendy Carlos spoke of and might have
created a keyboard that would retune with a pedal.  With computers it
would be a snap, and could even be reprogrammed in real time.  I like
the idea: when you hold down the foot pedal, the next note you touch
doesn't sound, but rather becomes the new tonal center.
I programmed a Pure Data patch a while back that allows me to compose
using a set of just frequency ratios, and will transpose with one
key-press, so that, for instance, the 7/4 element of one chord can
become the 1/1 of the next, and then the 5/9 of that tonal center can
become the next 1/1, and so on and so on.  This way I don't need to
decide how many notes per octave I want, and I don't need to keep
multiplying and dividing when I change keys.
I think the ideal instrument for this would be a computer with a
touchscreen.  Real-time scaleless microtonal improvisation together
with live coding.  It would be unstoppable.

-Chuckk

--
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com