Re: [LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty--musicisjustone path

Charles Linart wrote:
There are 12 frequencies of sound that are recognized by the human ear
as musical notes.
???
In what human ear are you referring? And in what context and/or culture?
I guess one could define traditional western tuning as a standard on which westerners "learn" "music" I place them in quotes because what constitutes "music" is a very controversial topic.. "learn", in this case, could be thought of as "conditioning" - in that westerners are conditioned by what they hear as the learn to then understand and interpret musical conversations.

The limited use of other frequencies can produce rhythms to bind the
notes into musical compositions.  Technology gives us the ability to
turn everything into a drum, but you still need those 12 frequencies
to produce melody.

Well... hmmm... what is melody? That's another topic. But, a linear sequence of notes can consist of any frequency as long as they convey a musical idea to be considered a melody. BTW: in western notation, a C major scale on a piano is different than a C major scale on a violin (I'm using the violin and piano as examples since one is tempered.) They are often played at different frequencies up and down the scale.

I am sure that someone smarter than I could precisely describe
mathematically what constitutes rhythm and melody.
I contend it is not a mathematical definition but one of art.

Not all sound is
music, but any sound can be incorporated into music.

many beg to differ that any sound cannot be music. I for one.

--
brad fuller
http://www.Sonaural.com/