Re: [LAU] Installing realtime kernel - getting it to work.

Lee Revell wrote:
On 4/3/07, Brad Fuller <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Geoff Beasley wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 April 2007 09:52:16 Brad Fuller wrote:
>

>> Right, these are all set except for: hpet (my cpu is too old), but I'll >> set it anyway and "Tickless System." Is this what you are referring to
>> when you speak of "tickless timers"?
>>

> yup. it'll help. what are the exact symptoms ? you should be having no
> problem at all...

my only problems now are outside of jack, - i think jack works ok. Using
the xine engine in amarok produces lots of clicks. Moving to the Helix
engine works much better.
Audacity, w/o jack, clicks too with any typing, net, window movement...
the usual.

Did you make sure that the soundcard IRQ is higher prio than all other
IRQs and that Audacity has realtime mode enabled (actually I have no
idea whether it has such a thing but it should)

I'll check.

I'm also concerned with the playback rate. Some apps playback too slow
(amarok and snd, neither with jack) while audacity plays back at the
right sample rate (with or w/o jack).

Probably your hardware only supports 48Khz but these apps use a hw
device which disables software resampling.

ahh... (I'm using a Delta66 in this PC and it goes up to 96kHz)
Audacity would work as it
uses OSS compatibility layer which resamples in kernel space.