Re: Installing realtime kernel - gentoo ERRORs loading realtime module

Brad Fuller wrote:
Martin Wohlleben wrote:
On So, 2007-03-25 at 14:59 -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
Lee Revell wrote:
On 3/25/07, Brad Fuller <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yeah... I've done that. But, still I would like to be able to have
external apps set the clock, right?
It can't work if JACK is running anyway because all clients are
required to support the server sample rate.
That I know.
WRT realtime, last i heard was that Gentoo does not supply a new
enough version of PAM (0.80 or higher is required)
that I don't know. Bummer...

# equery which pam
/usr/portage/local/layman/pro-audio/sys-libs/pam/pam-0.78-r6.ebuild

Thanks... back to realtime-lsm

Hi,

pam-0.78-r6 should work. I use this version and jack runs with rt-prio.
Check your /etc/security/limits.conf for the right entries

Well... it's good to know that version should work. I made sure I had it. The entries are the same.

# REALTIME support for audio group users
@audio          -       rtprio          100
@audio          -       nice            -10
@audio          -       memlock         250000

You can also find up to date ebuilds for rt-kernels and audio software
in the pro-audio overlay. There you can set the use of realtime-lsm by
setting a USE variable but I'd suggest to go with pam. More information
can be found in the wiki:

http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

That's what I'm referring to, as I mentioned in my first msg:
I'm following the directions on the wiki for the RT kernel at:
http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Realtime_%28RT%29_Kernel

ulimit -l replies
# ulimit -l
250000

So, as Marc-Olivier mentioned, at least that is being read. But, is there anything else that I can check?

With my latest kernel compile and with the change to the alsamixer to 44.1k (as I mentioned before) running qjackctl does not say that it can't run realtime, but the "RT" symbol is not lighted ("Realtime" IS checked in the setup)

Here's a log:

jackd 0.101.1
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
nperiods = 2 for capture
nperiods = 2 for playback
16:43:28.923 Server configuration saved to "/home/bfuller/.jackdrc".
16:43:28.923 Statistics reset.
16:43:29.758 Client activated.
16:43:29.774 Audio connection change.
16:43:29.785 Audio connection graph change.

So, I'm getting there, but I'm not certain that I'm really running jack in realtime mode.
Gosh... so sorry people! I totally forgot that I could look in the status of qjackctl and it does say that I'm running
in Realtime mode.

Cool... sorry for the noise (I hope it'll, at least, help others later)

--
brad fuller
http://www.Sonaural.com/