(OT) Affordable Networked Attached Storage?

Hi,

I have an idea in mind for a product which I'd like to own. Basically, I'd like to be able to buy an enclosure that takes two off-the-shelf hard discs (IDE, SCSI, SATA, SAS, whatever...) and connects to my LAN with an ethernet cable (gigabit preferred, but 10/100 is acceptable).

It should have an onboard RAID (absolutely essential) and provide SMB and NFS shares to the network (maybe also ftp), probably with an Apache server to supply a management GUI.

I know that I can build something like this, but I would like to buy one - I have found products by Buffalo and Icy Box which come close, but I haven't found one for (what I consider to be) a reasonable price that does exactlt what I'd like.

I'd like it to have an ethernet connection so I can have a box like this sitting alongside the wireless router in my house,. I could then avoid having any desktop or laptop switched on permanently - and still have 24hr wireless access point, DHCP server, print servers, firewall, AND file storage supplied to anyone (permitted) who chooses to connect.

I would still use my internal discs for recording/playing audio, but a networked attached box would be very useful for running backups, and archiving data centrally.

Does anyone know of any products, or manufacturers who make such an item?

Thanks
Michael Nelson