Re: ordering usb sound cards

On 3/19/07, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <eric@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've read some of Christoph Eckert's posts from 2005 about passing index
options to snd-usb-audio when it gets loaded, but I haven't been able to
get it to work. There is a builtin mic with the non-functional camera
that is apparantly on the usb bus, the internal SiS AC'97 device and
sometimes an edirol ua-25.

Any one of them can end up in any position. I've tried messing with
options in modprobe.d, but haven't figured out how to make the cards
stick to their card numbers on each boot.

I don't know about ordering multiple USB devices, but at least you
should be able to force the internal card to be card 0 by passing
index=0 to snd_intel_hda or whatever driver it needs...

(Probably not helpful to you now but the real solution is to address
cards by name, especially now that ALSA will have a usable device
enumeration API in 1.0.14.  So you would configure the streaming
server to stream from "default:UA-25" and monitor "default:HDA-Intel")

Lee