Re: To MacBook or not to MacBook, that's the question

2007/3/19, Ken Restivo <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>:> OK, <exasperated sigh>, I have to ask this:> Are there any laptops out there WHICH DO NOT SUCK??!
Yes, I have an ASUS A6000 which is rather great!
WLAN is supported, the Firewire works. Only I can't record to diskwhen using usb-soundcards (recording to tmpfs works...) but thats thepast now as I have my fw-device :-PAnd the 64bit aren't a problem. Despite what some PD-freaks tell you.What you need for music (as in music, not as inelectronic-experimental-synth-stuff) and recording is working verywell.Even the basic pd works as far as I am using it...
BTW, in the Linux and BSD wireless world a few years ago there was a general consensus that ThinkPads were amazing/fantastic/perfect machines. They were considered the most "road-worthy" and I saw BAWUG guys walking around carrying their open ThinkPads around by the LCD, casually throwing them around like a roadie throws around an SM58, with no ill effects.
My Asus looked that wretched after the first week of usage. I carry itaround in my normal backpack without any further protection for halfand a year now and it still works like on first day. Even the batterystill lasts 2-2.5 hours like on first day (and like the manufacturedannounced once you subtracted the 0.5 to 1 hours marketing).
Arnold
-- visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/---Wenn man mit Raubkopien Bands wie Brosis oder Britney Spears wirklichverhindern könnte, würde ich mir noch heute einen Stapel Brenner undeinen Sack Rohlinge kaufen.