Re: To MacBook or not to MacBook, that's the question

Johannes Mario Ringheim wrote:
Pieter Palmers wrote:
Hi all,

I'm considering to buy a new laptop, and a message some time ago on
the list regarding a comparison between Dell and MacBook made me reconsider my stance towards MacBook. The difference between the
price for comparable systems is indeed not that big, especially not
since they offer a 20% reduction if you become 'student developer'.
On top of that, getting OSX attracts me more than getting Vista ;).

So now I am considering getting one of these top-notch macbook
pro's, but I'd like to inform myself beforehand. My basic
requirement list: * runs linux with all hardware supported *
ruggedness (I carry it around everywhere) * support quality
(Apple's guarantee doesn't seem as good as the one from Dell)

Specific questions: * what kind of problems will I see when I want
to install Fedora on it? * are all interrupts routed to the same
line (as in the mini's)? I don't want IRQ sharing between the SATA
controller and the audio card/firewire controller, ... * how about
the ATI x1600 graphics card?

Doesn't the macbook have the intel 945..?

Are there any MacBook pro owners on the list that care to answer my
 questions and/or give a general feedback (feedforward?) on the
MacBook?

Have you checked on linuxlaptops: http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/apple.html http://desrt.mcmaster.ca/macbook.xhtml (Ubuntu)

Generally it seems they're getting stuff to work, but it might not be
 *the* laptop to run gnu/linux on.

Your links got me to this:
[http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/107/macbook-pro-noise-update]

Update: People are starting to record their MacBook Pro noises, and
to be honest they are usually not representative of what it really
feels like to be in a quiet room with the problem worming itself into
your brain. But this post by Paul Turner includes an interesting
analysis of the sound showing up in Logic (Apple’s own pro audio
recording software) with no microphone plugged in. He observed that
the subtle but insanity-inducing “CPU whine/twitter” actually shows
up in a Logic recording even when it’s not audible through the
speakers. Interesting, indeed. I feel really bad for Apple. I love
Apple and I don’t want to see this machine turn into a complete audio
lemon. I also don’t want to regret my purchase, since I’m interested
in home recording myself. This is just one more downer for what is
otherwise a great machine.

Now that doesn't sound too good...

Pieter