Re: Recommendations for SPDIF/AESEBU

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:50:22 -0000, Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bill Adair wrote:

Hello all,

I'm setting up a hi-end stereo system fed from flacs on a linux based PC.
I want to be able to experiment with upsampling algorithms on the hard
drive and then feed the digital data stream to a Lavry DA10 at 24/96.

What do you expect to achieve by upsampling before feeding the signal
into the the DAC and amplifier?

The Perpetual Technologies devices (P-1A D/D & P-3A D/A) were very successful a few years ago with their hardware based upsampling. I'm hoping to achieve something similar by writing upsampling code that can operate in non-real time on a PC chip. The idea is that the items 2 or 3 songs down a playlist can be upsampled to hard drive whilst waiting to be played. The upsampling algorithms
can be more convoluted and even multipass if that helps the music.

Bill

Erik