Re: Re: Legalities

Nick Scheer wrote:

While having covers of copyrighted songs available on your site may *technically* not be in compliance with copyright law, the reality is that I think it is most unlikely that the copyright holders would see fit to pursue you for any kind of damages, since the recordings you are providing access to are performed, produced, etc. by you, and you are not benefiting financially in any way, and someone is *not* going to download a cover song in lieu of purchasing a CD from the original artist, which is the main justification against the RIAA's well-publicized legal witch-hunts in the US.

My advice: First, get and read the book "This Business Of Music". Then get a lawyer if you still feel you need one.

Some distinctions: Copyright refers to the holding of the rights to make copies. Royalties are monies paid for the sales/distribution and performance of a copyrighted work. IANAL, but I think Bob's dilemma falls into the domain of performance or mechanical royalities. He's not breaking copyright, but like the church musicians and bar bands he can be compelled to pay a performance royalty. Enforcement of the law is of course a matter for the police or other such agency. Collection of owed royalties has been, in the US at least, a job done by the Fox Agency (IIRC). I think that even though Bob's covers aren't for sale he is still liable for the performance royalties.

Best,

dp