Re: Problem with virmidi module

terrence@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

How could I do this in console mode though? I don't use graphics on this computer. I'm using a screen reader, and console mode works best.

First, familiarize yourself with the aconnect utility. This program will let you make your MIDI connections without a GUI.

Next, you can use virmidi to connect to fluidsynth, or any other ALSA MIDI client. I use it for connections in DOSemu and in XSteem, it's very handy. The MIDI Through module is not available to those applications (it has no device node in /dev/snd/), so virmidi is the only flexible option.

Finally, fluidsynth can be run entirely from the prompt. Julian Claassen is the master of command-line Linux audio & MIDI, perhaps he'll join in this discussion and give some suggestions.

Btw, 'man fluidsynth' and 'fluidsynth -h' are your friends. You should also look at the manual pages for the ALSA utilities (aconnect, alsamixer, etc.), they're quite helpful.

Best,

dp