Re: donations or sponsoring?

Interesting idea!

For a couple of years I was a "subscriber" to Transgaming's WineX. $5 a month bought me a number of votes, three a month if I remember right, that could be spent on forwarding any of a number of feature requests or improvements also in part nominated by the subscribers. You could spend all the votes on one thing or spread them around a bit and the vote total basically set the developer(s) priority list for the month.

I'm sure they still had internal coding to do... the boring behind the scenes stuff most users take for granted... but it kept me hooked for quite awhile. On a more affordable schedule, like the $1/1euro a month that you are suggesting, even broke users like me could afford to help support several projects.

It's an excellent idea for sure. I also like the "bounty" idea. I've seen this pop up in practice spontaneously before! A very busy community and a user wants a new feature *NOW* and is willing to pay for it to help get it done quicker. Since all the good projects are open source that means even if the developer(s) aren't interested in accepting the bounty a freelance hacker could. I don't think that is as easy to put together as a paypal based subscription but it might be.

Got me thinking!  Nice work on the very quick bug fix too, btw.

- Jon Hoskins

http://www.linux-studio.org

For the artist in everyone!