Re: Re: hardware mixing

On 1/22/07, Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 21:13 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On 1/22/07, ram <ram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I can confirm the RME HDSP 9632 cards and add-ons also support hardware mixing.
> > They work really well too I may add.
>
> I stand corrected.  Mark was right - these devices do have hardware
> mixing, they just implement it in an odd way, probably to keep the
> interface similar to other OS.

its not true to say that with ALSA, they support what is commonly
understood as h/w mixing.

Is there a commonly understood meaning? I guess I'm uncommonly (or
commonly for me) in the dark about that.

you cannot do independent open's of several
subdevices and get the output of each subdevice mixed down to the
outputs.

This seems a Linux Software Developer centric statement. What does it mean?

Is this a hardwired limitation of the hardware, or is it a limitation
of the current ALSA driver for the HDSP cards?

yes, they do have a very powerful h/w matrix mixer, but it is not
accessible via a series of independent subdevices. it also is not
supported by the ALSA mixer API at this time.

This sounds like it's a limitation of the card so it wouldn't ever
work? Even under Windows or OSX?

What cards do support (under ALSA) a "series of independent
subdevices" which can then be output and then mixed in hardware?

Thanks,
Mark