Re: DeMuDi status? Distribution for gig synth?

Frank Barknecht wrote:
Most of the packages and work for Demudi has already found its way
back into standard Debian, which was one of the goals of Demudi. So
personally I would go with a normal standard Debian testing install.
The only thing missing in Debian is a specialized audio kernel (the
standard Debian kernel doesn't even have preemtion enabled), so you
may want to build your own kernel. THis is described in much detail
here: http://demudi.agnula.info/wiki/Low-latencyKernelBuildingHowto

Ciao

Thanks Frank, for the information that most of the DeMuDi packages are in standard Debian. However, one of my goals is to limit the time I need to spend in setup and configuration. And it seems that there would be a bit of work in trimming out all of the debian apps that I don't need, and in other customizations, like tuning the disk cache, cron jobs, even window manager configuration, etc.

That being said, I have never actually installed or even sat in front of a standard Debian system, so feel free to correct any misunderstandings I have.

Larry Troxler