Re: New member wants to build a reliable DAW

On 12/20/06, Jon H <october001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As for graphics card?  It is exactly as Kjetil has said, without meaning to,
I'm sure...  it's *either* "a lot of heat OR a large fan".  Which do you
prefer?  Modern cards, at least Nvidia's, are almost dead silent in relation
to ambient noise levels in a recording enviroment.  Especially if you plan
on running anything that requires OpenGL accelloration or VSTi
compatibility, as many of them are quite graphically intensive.  If you run
dual monitors as I have suggested then *definately* pass on anything that
doesn't have dedicated active cooling!  Anything that relies on passive
cooling (without getting into water cooling and other exotics) is just
asking for trouble in this sort of enviroment.

I love my Matrox G450.  It's stupidly old and has few features - I
don't know if it can do much 3D or not, but I don't really care.  It's
got two vga outs, it's passively cooled, and it doesn't seem to get in
the way.  I run it in a computer in a garage that I'm just now getting
around to insulating - over the past summer ambient temperature was
often in the mid 90's F, sometimes higher, and the computer ran 24/7
with no troubles.

--
daneasley@xxxxxxxxx
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx