Re: New member wants to build a reliable DAW

mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have a Delta 1010 on the way, and would like recommendations on parts (motherboard / CPU / memory / drives / distro) that would make a machine that I would not have to wish later on that I had bought something else. My main use for the system would be recording my Brass Quintet and my piano/keyboard musings (the hobby part) and possibly live recoding work (the sideline part). Seems to me that there would be some money to be made by recording events and providing Cd's for sale immediately after, as well as MP3's online.
Hi Mark

I recently built a machine for similar purposes. Although unfinished (I still have not transferred my Delta1010 from my current box), I can find no issues that would indicate that it will not work (it is working with an old Ensoniq card reliably at 8ms round-trip - which seems to be the best the card can manage).

I chose Intel this time around - primarily as a result of their having released either open-source drivers or the information required for the community to help themselves. So, I sourced an Intel D945GNTL ATX motherboard (ICH7 chipset, integrated sound/video, SATA II), coupled with a Pentium D945 (dual core 3.4GHz), and (initially) 1Gb DDR667 MHz RAM.

HTH
Rob