Re: Re: Squeak (was Software suitable for children)

Cesare Marilungo wrote:
Rob wrote:
Unfortunately, the presence of famous people doesn't automatically make a project intuitive, modern, or good for teaching kids.
I totally agree with this. But still I respect them. Not the famous people, but great innovators.
Squeak needs some updates, and maybe it needs new blood to make them happen, even if there are no PhD's contributing code anymore.
I couldn't care less for PhD's. I'm for self-education. Squeak, BTW, has been inspired by the construtivism theories and by softwares like Logo and HyperCard. Not really meant for PhD's.

I believe HyperCard influenced some of the design issues with eToys, not squeak. I could be wrong.

The teaching concept of Logo was reportedly an influence on smalltalk.

I personally think it needs some changes to the underlying language to make it accessible to first-time coders (scriptHello/self.setCharacters("Hello World")? How is that better than TO Hello/PRINT [Hello World]/END or good ol' Sub Main/Print "Hello World"/End? Or Sub Form_Open/Me.Text = "Hello World"/End if you need to be all OOPsy.)
Transcript show: 'Hello world'.

good one.

--
brad fuller