Re: Thesis: Playing and making music

Chris McCormick wrote:

If you can call a virtuoso a genius, I beleive that the people who compete in some games
on an international level must be called the same. If you have ever
watch a master playing Quake3 you will know that this is true. Sergei
Rachmaninoff eat your heart out!
Why would I call a virtuoso a genius ? A phenomenal level of practiced mechanical or gymnastic ability doesn't represent genius to me. YMMV.

See Chernoff's "African Music And African Sensibility" for some enlightening commentary re: musical virtuosity.

Best,

dp