Applications for Automated Audio Analysis

From 8am-11pm I am recording the audio from a lecture theatre. I want to be
able to programatically and/or visually identify when the lecture theatre is in use -- the audio feed is silent when not in use. I don't know what tools could do this. Here are my ideas/desires (the first two are preferable):

-- Every 20 seconds, take a numerical reading of the amplitude level currently being captured, like a "VU meter" with a "data logger" attached. (This number would then be saved to a database along with a timestamp and later processed -- the saving is the easy bit, it's just getting that number.) I know ecasignalview shows the current level but it requires: ecasound, ncurses (not possible to automatically grab relevant output so useless here), and an open audio device (disadvantage).

-- After 11pm, process the audio file and record the amplitude level every few seconds to a database.

-- Continually save a "spectrum analysis" of the live stream as an image (eg. JPG) that could be viewed at any time.

-- After 11pm, get a "spectrum analysis" of the whole static file and save it as an image (eg. JPG). The file is AAC within MP4, but I could convert it to a compatible format (eg. WAV) with FAAD just for the analysis if necessary. I don't think this could be done via an X GUI application as it needs to be automated.

Do you know which application(s) will help in these situations?

Many thanks!

- pete <><

It's Hotmail's 10th Birthday! Come and play Pass the Parcel http://www.msnpasstheparcel.com