Re: The famous "Jack Hum" (Can't record and desparate)

> Methinks there is Somewheres (note the forced plural!) in your hardware
> setup one or more pieces with bad shielding and/or bad grounding. The
> problems might not be limited to cabling - they could be something
> inside your hardware.

Me thinksesss this beesss precioussss advicessssss.

> A possible candidate - your fireware audio interface w/ microphone
> pre-amp. It may be originating the hum in the first place, and the mic
> pre-amp makes it really loud.

I have the same problem going over the internal sound card, and it is
more intense there. The odd part is, the lower the latency, the more
intense the hum; and even weirder, I CAN EVEN HEAR THE HUM WHEN THE
COMPUTER IS HOOKED UP TO SPEAKERS THAT ARE TURNED OFF. So you can
actually hear the hum; it's just that whatever sound adapter is hooked
up, firewire or interal, amplifies it.

First I thought it was hard drive noise; but I tried putting Jack's
tempfiles on a ram disk and that had no effect.

Could it actually be that the CPU itself is causing electromagnetic
effects because it has to work so hard?

Curious.

Carlo