Re: Re: E17 - our choice of WM in the future?

Lee Revell wrote:
On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 13:45 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
OK - I completely understand and completely agree. However I think the
'printing in Linux' problem seems to go so far beyond the desktop
environment it's scary. Printing is jsut damnably hard in Linux no
matter how you try it. I have printers all around the house. With a
lot of work I can get one or two of them to be available to different
machines, but we run into formatting issues. The HP printer attached
to this AMD64 Gentoo box gives different results with the same
document printed from my wife's box or my son's box or even printed
from here.

PostScript printers work perfectly.  Don't blame Linux, blame the
proliferation of Win-Printers.  Some of that junk needs a 100MB Windows
driver!

HP can be a problem even with Linux. I use the Generic Postscript driver with my HP LJ1200 (non-WinPrinter BTW). My wife's Linux laptop uses the HP LJ1200 Linux driver for it. I've been told that the HP driver uses HP PCL behind the scenes, not Postscript. So you get different fonts and different font renderings, not to mention only half the resolution ...

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx