Re: mixdown, ardour + soft synths

Atte André Jensen wrote:
Say I wrote a song with sounds coming from zyn/specimen and cue vocal/acoustic guitar coming from ardour. I generate two .wav's of my song, one with and one without my cue vocal. I send the files to a real singer, who imports the non-vocal-infected version in cubase, records her vocals (one mono track) and sends the new vocal-only file to me. I import the file in ardour and now without any tweaking the vocal should line up (time wise) with the music "in sync".

Freeze the track then export as an individual file/track. Then the other person just imports each one into their editor and they will be in perfect sync. Conversely make a selection and export the selected area for each track. AFAIK ardour does not have support for automating this task but neither does Protools or Logic IIUC.

Secondly I'm actually not sure exactly how to mixdown a project to a stereo track in ardour. Would I have to create a stereo track, connect all tracks output to the new tracks ins, press record and let the entire project play/record in realtime? I was hoping for an "offline" mixdown so that I don't have to 1) connect and 2) wait for 5 mins (provided the song is 5 mins)...

I use the master outputs into a new stereo track or just export to stereo from the master outputs only.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

"Anything your mind can see you can manifest physically, then it will become reality" - Macka B