Multiple sound interfaces, ALSA order detection

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this has been dealt with before but I can't seem to find anything about it...

I have two sound interfaces in my Debian unstable PC box: one being the motherboard (ASUS P4P800SE) chipset's (Intel ICH5) and the other a M Audio Delta 66.

I want to be able to use both, the internal for mp3 playback/plain music listening and the Delta for music making (mainly Pure Data). I created aliases for the interfaces (in /etc/asound.conf) as indicated in Alsa's website docs:

	pcm.!default {
        	type hw
	        card 0
	}

	ctl.!default {
	        type hw
        card 0
	}

	pcm.ICH5 {
	        type hw
	        card 1
        device 0
	}

	pcm.Delta66 {
        	type hw
	        card 0
	        device 0
	}

The remaining problem is that everytime I reboot, the order of the hw:0 and hw:1 is sometimes swapped i.e. one day hw:0 will be the ICH5 and the next day could be that the Delta is detected as hw:0.

What do I have to do so that one order is preserved upon reboot/re-detection of the interfaces?

++

Jé