Re: Connecting a MIDI keyboard

Hello,

Try to connect the ports 16:M Audio and 129:ZynAdd.

Don't forget you also have to connect the ZynAdd to the alsa_pcm on the audio tab.

If you want to check if there are any events sent you could install kmidimon (it's in the CCRMA repo) and connect this to the Yamaha.

Greetings,
Bert
Folks,

  What looked simple is not.  I have this Yamaha Psr-260 keyboard.  I
want to use it to play the ZynAddSubFX synth (one of these days I'll
know how to write that name I guess, if only by multiple repeated
tries).
  So I start a MIDI cable from the OUT of the keyboard and connect it
to the IN MIDI jack of the M-Audio 1010LT card.  So far so good I guess.

  Then I start jack using Qjackctl, and press the green button.  I also
start the ZynSubAddFX synth (looks like a Polish name, guess that was
the spiritual connection) and it shows up in the jack connect dialog
box, which looks like this:

  Readable Clients / Output Ports

  + 14LMidi Through
  - 16:M Audio Delta 1010LT MIDI
    0:M Audio Delta 1010LT MIDI

  Writable Clients / Input Ports

  - 129:ZynSubAddFX
    0: ZynAddSubFX

  So I connect the last two entries together.  The Zyn synth panel
shows MIDI channel 1 selected.  Jack uses the ALSA driver.

  I play a few notes on the keyboard and only the built-in Yamaha
sounds are resounding, no Zyn.  If I use the Zyn virtual keyboard, I
can hear the software synth all right.

  The mic input of the 1010LT works fine, as well as the rendering
of sounds made by Zyn and Hydrogen.  So I presume the card is OK.  Maybe
the MIDI cable is not, so I changed it.  To no avail.

  Systems are Fedora 5 CCRMA and Studio64.

  Is there something else to be done in order to use a MIDI keyboard to
trigger sounds created by the Linux box ?  Or should I start to think
that the keyboard itself is somehow damaged ?

Al