Re: M-Audio omnistudio USb jackd issues

Chris Abbott wrote:
This is my .asoundrc. I'll have to wait and see if the moderators will let my very long message of lsusb -v and the cats go through. If not, I'll shorten it up somehow or put it on the website and drop the link in a message. But nonetheless, it shows the device supporting 16- and 24-bit samples.

pcm.usb-aduio {
       type multi;
       slaves.a.pcm "hw:1,0";
       slaves.a.channels 2;
       slaves.b.pcm "hw:1:1";
       slaves.b.channels 2;
       bindings.0.slave a;
       bindings.0.channel 0;
       bindings.1.slave a;
       bindings.1.channel 1;
       bindings.2.slave b;
       bindings.2.channel 0;
       bindings.3.slave b;
       bindings.3.channel 1;
}

ctl.usb-audio {
       type hw;
       card 1;
}

rawmidi.usb-audio {
       type hw;
       card 1;
}

-Chris
Stuff from the message that was too big.

Below it is cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0 and below that is cat /proc/asound/card1/stream1. According to all of this(including the unlisted lsusb -v), it supports 24-bit and 16-bit. At 24-bit@48KHz, it is suppose to have 4in and 2out, at least according to M-Audio and when used in OSX. Which I have no problem with using it in OSX, except that I have crashed OSX twice with unplugging and plugging it from the USB port. I have yet to have a problem with it doing this in Linux. Plus, I have some plug-in bugs in Ardour in OSX. Also, as seen in cat /proc/asound/card1/stream1, it is playing (via beep-media-player) at 44.1Khz and 24-bit format.
"cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0"

~# cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0
M-Audio OmniStudio USB at usb-0001:10:1b.1-1, full speed : USB Audio

Playback:
Interface 1
  Altset 4
  Format: S16_LE
  Channels: 2
  Endpoint: 3 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
  Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100
Interface 4
  Altset 1
  Format: S24_3LE
  Channels: 2
  Endpoint: 3 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
  Rates: 88200, 96000
Interface 4
  Altset 3
  Format: S24_3LE
  Channels: 2
  Endpoint: 3 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
  Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000
Interface 4
  Altset 4
  Format: S16_LE
  Channels: 2
  Endpoint: 3 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
  Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000

Capture:
Interface 2
  Altset 4
  Format: S16_LE
  Channels: 2
  Endpoint: 5 IN (SYNC)
  Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100
Interface 5
  Altset 1
  Format: S24_3LE
  Channels: 2
  Endpoint: 5 IN (SYNC)
  Rates: 88200, 96000
Interface 5
  Altset 3
  Format: S24_3LE
  Channels: 2
  Endpoint: 5 IN (SYNC)
  Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000
Interface 5
  Altset 4
  Format: S16_LE
  Channels: 2
  Endpoint: 5 IN (SYNC)
  Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000

"cat /proc/asound/card1/stream1"

~# cat /proc/asound/card1/stream1
M-Audio OmniStudio USB at usb-0001:10:1b.1-1, full speed : USB Audio #1

Playback:
  Interface = 7
  Altset = 3
  URBs = 8 [ 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 ]
  Packet Size = 192
  Momentary freq = 44100 Hz (0x2c.199a)
Interface 7
  Altset 1
  Format: S24_3LE
  Channels: 2
  Endpoint: 4 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
  Rates: 88200, 96000
Interface 7
  Altset 3
  Format: S24_3LE
  Channels: 2
  Endpoint: 4 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
  Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000
Interface 7
  Altset 4
  Format: S16_LE
  Channels: 2
  Endpoint: 4 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
  Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000

Capture:
Interface 8
  Altset 1
  Format: S24_3LE
  Channels: 2
  Endpoint: 6 IN (SYNC)
  Rates: 88200, 96000
Interface 8
  Altset 3
  Format: S24_3LE
  Channels: 2
  Endpoint: 6 IN (SYNC)
  Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000
Interface 8
  Altset 4
  Format: S16_LE
  Channels: 2
  Endpoint: 6 IN (SYNC)
  Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000

Is it possible that Jack is sending the right information to get the sample format. I think I read somewhere that jack sends out stuff like S24_LE and according to the cats, the device identifies its 24-bit and others as S24_3LE.

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
You can see which sample rates are supported by running:

lsusb -v

for more info :

lsusb --help

Cheers.

Chris Abbott wrote:
Tried it, but no luck. Thanks. I think I might toy around with the alsa-jack driver. It may be jack doesn't like how the sample formats are done on the omnistudio. Even though I have alsa playing through it fine still.

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
Chris Abbott wrote:
I'm not sure what jack's problem is, but it returns this no matter what I use on my omnistudio.

~$ jackd -dalsa -dhw:1 -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -i4 -o2

try this: jackd -dalsa -dhw:1 -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -i4 -o2 -P

Your device may have different sample rate capabilities for playback and capture and jackd may not be able to figure that out.

Cheers.