Re: Preferred Alsa Linux setup

Josh Henne a écrit :
Hello all;

I am installing Gentoo on my dell Inspiron 9300. I am slightly confused as to how Alsa should be set up. When I try to run alsamixer I get the message: no mixer elms found.

In the Kernel config I have set sound card support to "yes" and left all the Alsa options blank. I have emerged the alsa-driver and alsa-utils packages. The Internal soundcard is an Intel AC97 controller or module Intel8x0. I have added alsa to load on boot and added the alsa and Intel8x0 modules to load on boot. And the SAVE_ON_STOP variable is set to "yes". Eventually I would like to add my Mackie Onyx 1640 using freebob (but after I solve the alsa issue first ^_^ ).

Thanks

Are you sure that your sound module is compiled ? What the result of lsmod ? No error message if you do a modprobe snd-intel8x0 ? Did you put the ALSA_CARDS = "intel8x0 virmidi" in your /etc/make.conf before emerging alsa driver ? For specific questions about gentoo, and if you decide to do serious audio work, take a look to the Proaudio overlay and subscribe to the list, people are great.

Regards

Philippe