Re: Beginner singing, music theory (guitar) and ear training, solfege?

Loki Davison wrote:

I'm keen on learning to sing in my now extensive spare time. Anyone
now of any good books or sites aimed at beginner singers?

I've never looked at any books on singing, but I've picked up a lot of valuable tips from singers. Are lessons not possible ?

I'm also wondering if doing some ear training stuff would be good. I'm
mostly interested in improving my guitar playing but i'm guessing this
would really help over all. Should i use GNU solfege for ear training?

Yes, Solfege rocks. I advise it for my students, it's one of the best self-trainers around.

Is there a good intro for beginners somewhere? guitarnoise.com is the
most useful stuff i've found so far. Anyone know a good book on any of
these topics? If possible focused towards guitar, music theory, ear
training, etc and not one of those horrible school music style method
books. I have no interest in sing mary has a little lamb. ;)

Most of what you need you can find on the Web now. Harmony Central used to be a good place to look for such things.

I usually recommend Piston for harmony theory, but really any reasonably complete textbook should suffice. I prefer harmony texts by composers (Rameau, Schoenberg, Sessions, Piston, Persichetti, etc) but I'm not sure that really matters. Just make sure it covers the principles of so-called common practice harmony.

Btw, you might also check out Modus Vetus for even more standard ear-training exercises.

Best,

dp