Re: M-Audio Delta 1010LT - Alsa 1.0.11 - only Output on ch1 and 2

Florin Andrei schrieb:
On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 12:33 +0200, acker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

i have a problem using my new M-Audio Delta 1010LT Card with Debian Sid -
Kernel 2.6.17-2 and Alsa 1.0.11.

When playing soundfiles with XMMS (using OSS or Alsa Output plugin) i only
get sound on output 1 + 2. I installed the envy24control mixer and there
the monitor tab shows only peaks on 1 + 2.

When using the 2.6.16-2 kernel (i don't know the alsa version used here)
and playing soundfiles with XMMS (OSS output plugin) - every output shows
peaks and works.

I am sure there are other answers to your dilemma, but anyway, my take
is that the 1010 cards were really designed to be used with something
like JACK or a similar technology - i.e., there are multiple sound
sources, multiple destinations, and you're routing between them with
JACK or something like that.

I have the 1010 full version, I'm using Fedora Core 5. I simply
connected the studio monitors (the speakers) to the outputs #1 and 2 on
the 1010. Without JACK (e.g. when I'm watching a DVD, or listening to
music via XMMS), all applications just "do the right thing" and send the
signal to those outputs. But when I use the music equipment, I fire up
JACK and I use it to make the proper routings.

So, in my opinion, stereo apps sending output only to #1 and 2 (in the
absence of JACK) is normal. If you want more complex routing, just use
JACK.

Hi and thanks for your answer,

you're absolutely right - the card is made for recording, but the point is, that the problem is new since alsa 1.0.11. So why do they changed that? It works with an older
kernel and alsa 1.0.10 ...

Greetz,
Acker