Re: 64bit vs 32bit (was: Re: AMD64 question: update)

2006/7/12, Roberto Gordo Saez <roberto.gordo@xxxxxxxxx>:> I've made tests mainly on big server applications, I have not made> tests on audio software, so I suggest everyone to dedicate some time> testing your own apps. It is simple: make two partitions, one of them> with a 32bit OS, and the other optimized for 64 bit. Do not use a> chroot nor mixed environment (32bit libs on 64bit system), because the> results can be slightly different.
Okay, I don't have space (and time) for a second partition. And whileI understand that my testing might not be the optimum test, I thinkyour's isn't either: Because you compare fully using a 64bit systemwith using a 64bit system in 32bit-mode. It is like comparing a bigmotorcycle with the same motorcycle but slowed down. For sure theslowed-down version will not be as fast. Also german IT-newspaper c'thas made some comparisons when opteron64 and intel xeons with 64bitwent onto the market Their result was that the amd64 are faster thanthe intel64. And surprisingly enough the amd64 in 32-bit mode wherealmost as fast as in 64-bit mode while the intels where significantlyslower in 32-bit mode than in 64-bit mode...
I am thinking about some other test, as someone mentioned registersand memory and stuff, which I think are good to recognise, but for the"real" computing speed maybe a mathematical test would be better? Atest that wouldn't need lots of memory and lots of registers anddoesn't have lots of cache-misses?Like computing pi to a certain number of relevant numbers?
And, yes, I am comparing apples with oranges. But that was thequestion at least here in the lab: Comparing single-turion64 withdouble Xeon32. And guess what: On rather simple code, without specialSSE/MMX/etc optimisation, with the same compilerflags, the turion wassignificantly faster.
So I would like to prove this observation by a good test. Butcomparing a retarded 64bit system with a full 64bit system isn't thesolution. (Who would for example shut down half of the heating of histoaster anyway?)
Arnold
-- visit http://dillenburg.dyndns.org/~arnold/---Wenn man mit Raubkopien Bands wie Brosis oder Britney Spears wirklichverhindern könnte, würde ich mir noch heute einen Stapel Brenner undeinen Sack Rohlinge kaufen.