Re: some ALSA questions

Dave Phillips wrote:

I'm preparing a final draft of an article re: ALSA and I started wondering about whatever happened to modules.conf. In my old RH9 (2.4 kernel) I was able to freely manipulate the ALSA modules (designate for loading, reorder, set alias, etc) via /etc/modules.conf. Things have changed a lot in 2.6.x, and /etc/modules.conf is apparently not to be edited in Ye Olden Way.

Mark is right, you must edit /etc/modutils/alsa (make sure you don't have backup files from your editor such as alsa~ lying around, everything in that dir is used...). Then run update-modules to transport the changes into modules.conf.

Also: /etc/modprobe.d/sound should be a copy of (or symlink to) /etc/modutils/alsa(-base). This makes the correct information show up in /sys/module/snd_usb_audio/parameters/*. I found this important if you want to control the order of your usb devices.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://www.atte.dk      | quartet:      http://www.anagrammer.dk