Re: Help setting up linux for high quality music listening via JACK

Mark Knecht wrote:
On 6/28/06, Andrew Lester <martinblank64@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, this is my first time on a mailing list, so I hope I'm doing it
right. I am new to Linux, coming from windows. I need a low-latency
sound interface with no resampling (ex: no software volume control, no
software EQ, etc...), just like ASIO in windows. Somebody told me to
look into JACK.

Welcome.

I have an ESI Juli@ sound card, which seems to be supported under Linux.
Using ALSA and xmms I can easily hear the sound quality is inferior to
that of the sound quality in windows using winamp with an ASIO output
plugin (and the official esi drivers). All my music is ripped in FLAC
and I am using the Sennheiser HD650 headphones with a WooAudio 3 amp. I
have jack installed, as well as jackd, and the jack output plugin for
xmms. I have gotten basic sound out of jack by entering "jackd -d alsa"
into the konsole and selecting the "jack audio connection kit" as the
sound system and using the jack output plugin for xmms.

I use an RME card & external D/A's with Aqualung as a player running
under Jack. While not necessary at all for pure listening I run my
HDSP 9652 at 64/2 all day long without xruns.

I highly recommend you checking out Aqualung.

<SNIP>
And are there any newer music players
that support FLAC and JACK output?

Aqualung. Sound quality is very good. All major and most minor file
formats supported. My collection is FLAC and ogg. Developers are very
available. Low volume mailing list.

Cheers,
Mark

Thanks for the replies guys. First of all, let me say the ESI Juli@ is not a cheap or "medicore" sound card. It is just as good an an E-MU 0404 or an M-Audio Audiophile 192 and it uses a very good DAC.

You are right, I think the sound quality loss is due to the realtime resampling to 48khz. I can start it at 44100Hz (which the sound card is capable of), but it won't work with xmms. I hope it works with aqualung, which brings me to my next problem, aqualung.

I downloaded the debian package, and it says that I can't install it because it relies on libjack 0.80, but that is a very outdated version and I have the latest version which is something like 0.101. I get the same error when I try to configure the source version. Why is it demanding such an outdated version and how can I fix that?