Re: AMD64 question

Mark Knecht wrote:

  7) Am I correct to assume that this system runs in a 32-bit more as
well as the 64-bit ? How do I determine which mode I'll run in ?

No - it will run either 32-bit or 64-bit. However Linux has 32-bit
emulation libraries to allow 32-bit binaries to run an a 64-bit
system. I run 64-bit but I think if I was to do it again I'd just go
32-bit. 64-bit systems have trouble with many 32-bit Windows media
types as win32codec built for 64-bit isn't completely compatible (or
just doesn't work) yet. Some of Java isn't as well supported on 64-bit
yet. Flash s OK. No clue whether any of that matters to you but it
does to me.

Thanks for those notes, Mark. The Java and Flash stuff does matter to me. Any comment on WINE and VST support ? Am I best advised then to simply run in 32-bit mode most of the time ?

Btw, if I had to explain it to a very normal user, what benefits should she expect from running a 64-bit system ? WRT Linux audio software, what applications receive the greatest performance boosts ?

We need to put the universe's karma bit more in balance.

:)

Back to the balance...

Best,

dp