Re: Re: which graphics card?

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 00:21 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Also superhighendthreedeegraphicshardandsoftware can degrade audio
> performance in various ways, depending on the system, its drivers
> etc..
> Currently Creative is fighting that issue btw., see
> http://xfi.blogspot.com/2006/05/crackling-and-popping-x-fi.html for
> some funny reading.

Bwahahaha.  They've been struggling with that since the first emu10k1
devices came out - about 10 years now ;-)

Yet another reason that open source drivers are technically superior -
vendors (especially video card vendors but it's also been seen with high
bandwidth disk controllers) do rude things like hog the bus in order to
get better Winbench scores.  I found a problem like this with the open
source VIA Xorg driver and it was quickly fixed by the developer.  With
closed drivers you're at the mercy of the vendor.

Lee