Re: Re: Firewire sound - which HW?

Loki Davison wrote:
On 5/17/06, jan <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm looking to buy some sound recording equipment for my computer, but
what should I get? The shop I went to recommended Motu Ultralite, Motu
828 MKII, Edirol FA101 or Focusrite Sapphire, all of which look fairly
nice. But how about support for them in Linux?

is this a laptop? why this strange new obsession with firewire
everyone has.... pci cards arn't worse. Quite the other way actually.

Loki

No, not a laptop. Firewire has been recommended to me by several people who ought to know about these things (musicians); the main reason being that while a pCI card may have all the functionality, it also has much more of a tendency to pick up electrical noise from the computer. This may of course not be a big problem, especially if the music you record fills out the entire sound spectrum all the time, but it is clearly not satisfactory if you record, say, a single instrument (in my case a renaissance lute).

Also, of course, a box with firewire would be a lot easier to carry around and share; and even connect to a laptop in an emergency.

/jan