Re: gentoo proaudio portage overlay

Robert Persson wrote:

I don't know if the other gentoo users on this list are aware of this, but someone who goes by the name of nevermind has created a proaudio portage overlay. You can find out about it at http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-427211.html , or download a live svn snapshot directly from http://svnweb.tuxfamily.org/dl.php?repname=proaudio+%28ckpp%29&path=%2F&rev=0&isdir=1 .

Overall it is very useful, containing both packages that are missing from the main portage tree and more recent versions of existing packages. There are several very nice apps I had not heard of before, such as aeolus, the pipe organ emulator.

One thing I have found I have needed to do has been to manually download some of the tarballs to /usr/portage/distfiles, and then to delete some of the digests and manifests and rebuild them (using "ebuild packagename-1.2.3 manifest digest") in order to generate new checksums. In one case (I think it was the vst sdk) I had to roll my own tarball in place of the one one of the ebuilds was unable to download. There were one or two other ebuild tweaks I had to do as well. So not problem free, but very useful nonetheless.

Robert
I'm not sure what to do about the lash use flag. it conflicts with ladcca in the gentoo portage tree. that's fine i guess, since i never got ladcca working (for lack of trying). Also i found myself forced to upgrade gcc from 3.3 to 3.4, and the revdep-rebuild process choked at almost every package from the overlay. So i commented it (the overlay) out of etc/make.conf, and still got complaints. i ended up basically un installing all of the overlay packages and then commenting out the overlay and revdep-rebuild, then uncomment it and emerge -uDN world. I guess this would be better suited for the forums... but i agree that the overlay is not problem free.
brian