Re: A couple of questions

> > How can a user who just bought a USB audio device make it the
> > default device?

even if they do have the USB-audio module, likely the device will show up at hw:1.0.0. at which point the user has to either reorder the module loading via /etc/modules.d trickery, or do some asound.conf/rc magic to change the 'default' device to something 'sides hw:0.0.0. this isnt very intuitive..

> System->Preferences->Sound then select the USB audio device from the
> "Default sound card" menu

let me guess, this changes the Gstreamer output device? woo, the Nautilus clicky-sounds go to the right place now!~!. if its actually changing the 'default' device for ALSA, that could be useful. which util is this?

admittedly ive only installed debian and gentoo in the past year. but both required manually looking up the module name from http://alsa-project.org, then either manually editing /etc/make.conf and defining ALSA_CARDS, or downloading the alsa-driver tarball, and running make-kpkg and installing that with dpkg. neither one 'just worked'...

> They don't, if they use a newbie-friendly distro.

neither SuSE or Ubuntu came up with my Echo card, even though its been rolled into the main alsa-driver tree for like a year now. maybe it has to do with the fact that its not in the kernel alsa driver and only the module version? something to do with firmware dependencies, perhaps..