regarding the 2nd Book Of Linux Music & Sound

Greetings:

My publisher, Bill Pollock, has been gently pressuring me to commit to completing the 2nd edition of The Book Of Linux Music & Sound. Unfortunately I'm in a precarious position to commit myself to the work. The first book nearly wiped me out, I'm not sure I can sustain the effort to bring the next edition to light. Nevertheless, I'm still interested in seeing this book through to completion. So I have some questions for the community :

1. Is there a real need for another book such as the The Book Of Linux Music & Sound ?

2. If so, would I be wise to ignore the 2.4 kernel series ? (It would make it easier to ignore material re: OSS/Free)

3. Would anyone be interested in co-authoring the book ? I've considered offering some chapters to certain people on these lists, but the issue of reimbursement gets sticky WRT royalties and other compensation. I made very little money from the first book, but money wasn't the true reward anyway, so perhaps there's a way to turn it into a community-based work.

4. Is anyone else already working on such a project ? I don't want to duplicate efforts.

Btw, this is the last hurrah for this project. If I don't take it now I won't be taking it on at all. I have a life, it's pretty full, and committing to this edition would be a major disruption. I can guarantee that it would be the last book I'll ever write.

 I look forward to your comments and advice.

Best regards,

dp