Re: Partitioning for audio

If I may be so bold as to add a question :what filesystem should the recording disk use ?I hear that a journaled filesystem (ext3, xfs, reiserfs), while beingsafer, would be slower than - say - ext2.My recording hard drive (80 Go) is currently using FAT32 forcompatibility, but I wonder if this is a very good choice regardingI/O performances ?
Regards.
On 3/22/06, Jan Depner <eviltwin69@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 01:03 -0600, Josh Lawrence wrote:> > Hello all,> >> > I'm about to build a machine strictly for recording audio.  I've> > looked around the web for suggestions on how to partition the disks,> > and have found a lot of useful information.  At the risk of beating a> > dead horse, I would like to get some suggestions from this list as to> > how you partition your disks.> >>>     I try to keep things as simple as possible.  Normally I partition> the OS drive with 2GB swap, 100MB /boot, and the rest in the /> partition.  Make one partition for the second drive.  Always record to> the second drive.  You can move audio data from the second drive to the> OS drive after recording.  You don't want to be recording to the OS> drive.>>> > A little background - recording will be simple, nothing major, and> > mostly for my own enjoyment.  It is doubtful that any of it will see> > the light of day.  Mastering will be minimal.  The machine will have> > two hard disks, so I will need to spread out the work between the two.> >  Finally, I'll be running Ubuntu.  Not sure what audio interface yet,> > though.> >>>     Ardour for recording, JAMin for mastering - of course I may be a bit> biased ;-)>> --> Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner> The Fuzzy Dice> http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/fuzzy.html>>> "As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be> glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and> this we should do freely and generously.">> Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of> Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744>>