Re: looking for a sampler

Frank Barknecht wrote:

Hallo,
Hector Centeno-Garcia hat gesagt: // Hector Centeno-Garcia wrote:

I was wondering what are you people using as a sampler in Linux. It is a little bit sad that two of the very promising projects are stopped: Specimen and Chionic ( http://www.reduz.com.ar/chionic/ ). LinuxSampler is an excellent project but it seems that, for now, you are limited to using giga sampler format and what I'm looking for is a sampler were you can create your own patches from audio files and map them to a keyboard. AFAIK there are no ways in Linux for making giga sampler banks. I was checking LMMS and the sampler seems to be very limited as it doesn't allow you to map samples to keyboard regions... Is there any solution (beside Csound and PD) for creating your own sample patches with amplitude envelopes and keyboard mapping?

Fluidsynth with Swami may be what you're looking for. It is used to
create sample-based instruments in SF2/Soundfont-format, which you
then can use either on a Soundblaster hardware synth or in one of the
many libfluidsynth-based software synths like fluidsynth itself,
fluid~ in Pd, the fluidsynth opcodes in Csound etc. Swami is an editor
for creating the Soundfonts.

It's a very widespread and well documented format and can be made to
sound really great. Check for example the NSKit soundfonts, I used
the ns_piano in this track: http://footils.org/cms/show/49

Ciao
The development version of swami (http://swami.sourceforge.net) has some basic gigasampler creating and editing capabilities.

c.