Re: [OT] Guitar amp

Jan Depner wrote:

To be honest, I think the PODxt sounds much better than the V-Amp... I use a PODxt Live (through a Mesa/Boogie 50/50 power amp and a 2x12 cabinet), and my rhythm guitarist plays the V-Amp... and maybe it's due to his native guitar tone also, but the V-Amp sounds rather plasticy to my ears. It sounds a bit better going into a 4x12 cabinet (a huge improvement over the single 1x12), but it still doesn't sound as clean as the PODxt.

    Uh, you don't think the Mesa Boogie has anything to do with the
sound???

To some degree, perhaps. I am using the PODxt as a pre-amp, though, so most of the tone is coming is from that.

We are going to experiment with using the V-Amp just as a pre-amp and going into a Marshall head for the power section (bypassing the Marshall pre-amp) and into a 4x12... that should give it some more umph.:-)

   Seriously though, I have a V-Amp Pro and I have friends who
use the POD XT.  I don't here all that big a difference when they're
played through the same gear.  Even if there was a large difference is
it worth the $530 difference in price?

The difference between what I paid for the PODxt Live and what he paid for the V-Amp was about $100. At any rate, though, he got an entire amp plus a big foot pedal with two built-in expression pedals... so overall, he got more for the money, I think.

I should have indicated the recordings I have done direct (no amplifiers) with the two sound different, the V-Amp stuff sounds thinner and more plastic-y, to my ears.

--
Brett McCoy: Programmer by Day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.alhazred.com