Re: OT - Power Amp?

Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

I could ask this question a number of places, but I like you
folks. :^)

I'm in the market for a ~400W/ch @ 8 Ohms amp to replace my aged,
and now broken for the 4th or 5th time, JBL power amp.

I've got some experience with QSC amps in band practice settings,
and in live performance settings.  All I can say is that they
never seem to be problematic, and always seem to do their job.
I haven't used one in a studio setting.  I'd almost just go buy
a QSC today, unless someone here would warn me off.  I do need
an amp quickly as I was just about to mix some ardour recorded
music.  What advice do you people have?

Thanks....

--
Kevin

I picked up one of the 450 per side QSC amps in a pawn shop for $125.00. New they retail around here for $450.00. They are "value" priced and in my experience that is a hand off in terms of some form of quality. I have pushed this one through a set of Bag Ends with midi programing, vocals, acoustic guitar and also with a BBE Sonic Maximizer in line. It seems to hold down a reasonably tight bottom end with not too much sacrifice in upper freq response. But I have not been able to push it to its limits in my musci room. If you hunt around on Ebay, you can probably find one for around $250 - $350. I will be doing an outdoor gig with this amp in 2 weeks. I will then be able to tell you how much punishment it can take before sound degradation.

R~