Re: "DVD-A"paranoia?

Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

I've got a DVD-A disc with residue on it, which won't wash off, and which causes a lot of skipping. If this were a CD, I'd just use cdparanoia to rip it, then burn a fresh copy. Does anyone know of something like that for Linux? FWIW, I put the disc in my DVD+/-RW
drive (Lite-on, if it matters) and its type wasn't recognized.

Take a look at Ripmake ...  www.lallafa.de/bp/ripmake.html

I have a DVD read only drive, so I haven't been able to copy DVD to DVD. However, I can copy DVD to AVI (usually produces 2 AVI files), and can at least back up a DVD movie to CDRom disks. You lose all navigation features and special content, but the movie will play.

At the Ripmake site is 'cpdvd', a program to copy a DVD to your hard disk drive. You might be able to copy to hard disk drive and then burn another DVD from the hard disk drive files.

There are other DVD backup programs that will do the same thing. Google for them.

Hope this helps,
Stephen.