Re: rosegarden-4-1.0: can't seem to get any MIDI out ...

Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Markus Herhoffer wrote:

Midi has actually nothing to do with Jack. Jack cares only about
audio streams.

I'm not convinced of that.  For example, I do need to "connect" (via
qjackctl's "connect" screen, "MIDI" tab) "80:CS46xx" to "129:FLUID Synth"
to be able to control that software with my MIDI controller.

I think the problem here is a confusion between the qjackctl GUI and JACK itself.

When I launch qjackctl, the window is labelled JACK Audio Connection Kit. Despite this, they are not the same.

Qjackctl is a GUI written to manage JACK; but, as I understand it, it also provides direct control of ALSA MIDI connections.

I continued testing and found that if I start JACK _after_ starting
Rosegarden, it seems to do the right thing.  Should I perhaps simply have
Rosegarden start Jack, or am I asking for different trouble if I do that?
(I do still want to use JACK because some of the applications I expect
to be making heavy use of use it or require it ...)

That's interesting. I have had various difficulties getting Rosegarden to send MIDI to fluidsynth (managed with qsynth). Maybe I should try the same?

Regards,
Michael