[linux-audio-user] Re: Linux Lighting

On 11/28/05, carmen <ix@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 11:51:37PM +0100, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
> > I'm currently planning a live show using Jackbeat and modifying it for
> this
> > purpose. This is about music of course, but I'm also interested by
> controlling
> > lights, to warm the dancefloor up.
> > The technology in this area seems to be named DMX, and there seem to be
> some
> > Linux driver project called dmx4linux, by the Linux Lighting Group.
> there's the behringer lc2412, it was about $150 USD and has 30 faders and 30
> buttons which all send MIDI and DMX, or recieve MIDI (unmotorized) and
> convert to DMX (512 channels, but i dont know exactly what that means...you
> still need dimmer packs etc) .

The Behringer has one big disadvantage: You can only control it via
midi as you would using its controlsurface. That means that you have
to programm it right and than you can midi-input to control the faders
(which may or may not correspond to the dmx-channels). One can do very
cool things with the LC2412 but controlling via midi is not a primary
usage for it.
But there seem to be usb-dmx-boxes on thomann.de but I have never
heard (until now) wether they are usable under linux...

Arnold

--
visit http://dillenburg.dyndns.org/~arnold/
---