[linux-audio-user] Behringer BCA 2000 - has anyone tried it ?

Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Why have an endless knob at all if it has ends and thus is not an
> endless knob? You could just as well use the standard knobs which
> stop physically at both ends or use a slider.

A real rotary pot (or slider for that matter) cannot be synchronised to
software automation without the addition of motors - which costs ???.

A rotary encoder (such as is mass produced for CE equipment) is
comparatively cheap:  with the addition of software such a rotary
encoder can synchronise to an external device (in this case PD or a DAW)
without the need to adjust the physical fader/knob position.

If you wanted to use sliders/knobs with end-stops, you'd need a
procedure in which the user wiggles the control until it matches the
external device or (as I have seen) coloured lights to tell you how to
move the control to achive synchronisation.  Some manufacturers have
decided that this isn't a nice interface.

HTH
Rob